- 1 kg Mussel Meat (or more) (Fresh or frozen)
- 1 kg Mussels in Shell (Cleaned and cooked) (Fresh or frozen)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Onion sliced and chopped
- 2 Leeks (white and tender green) Sliced and chopped
- 2 Celery finely sliced and chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 12 black pepper corns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp saffron threads (opt)
- 2 tins of 170g crab meat (opt)
- 3 pkts of White onion soup and 2 ½ liters water (or corn starch; seasoning onion flakes and chicken stock)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 500 ml cream (or half cream and half milk)
- Brown onions, celery, and leeks in butter in a large pot.
- Add mussel meat and crab meat.
- Add White onion soup mixed with water.
- Add all other herbs and condiments to taste (saffron; tobasco; salt and pepper; bay leaves and peppercorns; etc.)
- Heat on medium heat until soup comes to boil and then simmer.
- Add wine and adjust seasoning.
- Finally add fresh parsley and cream.
- Add mussels in shell and warm through before serving (can remove the shells and serve a smooth, creamy soup as well).
- Serve with crusty bread.
Adapted from a recipe of Sally William’s ‘Quick and Easy’ Course