- 2 x 300g punnets of fresh or frozen broccoli, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 750ml chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 250ml sour cream or crème fraiche
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Place the broccoli in a large saucepan with the other prepared vegetables.
- Pour in the boiling chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft.
- Blend the soup to a purée in an electric blender.
- Season to taste with ground cloves, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Remove from the heat and swirl in the sour cream.
- If serving hot, reheat very gently, stirring until heated through without bringing to the boil again.
- Can also be served chilled with an extra swirl of sour cream or crème fraiche.
- Garnish with chopped chives
- Serve with croutons or crusty bread on the side.
If the soup is too thick for your liking add more chicken stock. If too thin add 1 tsp cornflour to thicken.