- 3,5kg Oxtail
- 12,5ml flour
- 60ml olive oil
- 6 onions, sliced
- 5 fresh bay leaves
- 8 fresh sprigs of thyme
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 500ml red wine
- 500ml beef stock
- 250ml chicken stock
- 150ml orange juice
- zest of 4 oranges
- 2 x 410g whole peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup sugar (or to taste)
- 400g butter beans
- 400g red kidney beans
- 400g borlotti beans
- Salt, ground pepper and paprika to taste
- 8 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 500g frozen peas
1. Trim the excess off the oxtail. Season the flour and spices and role the oxtail in the mixture and set aside.
2. Heat oil in the potjie and brown the pieces on both sides in batches and then set aside once more. Add a little more olive oil to the potjie and sauté the onion, bay leaves, thyme and garlic for 5 mins.
3. Add the red wine, stock, orange juice and rind and the tinned tomatoes and sugar and season well.
4. The meat must be covered completely with the liquid.
5. Place the lid on the potjie and leave to simmer gently for a total of 4 to 5 hours or until the meat is very tender and almost falls off the bones.
6. Halfway through the cook add the carrots and celery.
7. Add the tinned beans 10 minutes before ready to serve.
8. Blanch the peas and also add to the potjie about 10 minutes before serving or serve the peas separately.
9. Serve on a bed of rice or mashed potatoes, sprinkled with finely chopped parsley.
If you don’t have a potjie pot substitute with a heavy cast iron pot on the stove