Makes 12 madeleines
Ingredients for orange and thyme sauce
- 2 oranges, juiced
- Zest of 1 orange or lemon (optional)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Warm all the ingredients together over low heat and leave to steep for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Reheat just before drizzling over the cooked madeleines while they are still slightly warm.
Ingredients for Madeleines
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp ground almonds
- ¼ tsp baling powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 140 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled for a minute or two
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Butter and flour your madeleine pan.
- Grind the flour and the almonds together to make sure the flour is nice and fine.
- Beat the eggs, yolks and sugar together for a few minutes until the mixture is pale yellow and fluffy.
- Gently fold in the flour, almonds, baking powder and salt.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour if possible.
- Fill the shell shapes 2/3 with your batter.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until the centres are puffed up and golden.
- Invert the pan onto the cooling rack straight away.
- Drizzle the hot syrup over the madeleines.
Recipe originally from Sarah Graham