Skip to content
- 300 ml cream
- 600 ml milk
- 4 eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 8 Chelsea buns (a few days old)/or hot cross buns
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 80 g soft butter
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Heat your oven to 170°C.
- Warm the cream and milk in a pot over a gentle heat.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl, then gradually add the warm cream mixture, being careful not to scramble the eggs.
- Break the buns and arrange them in a large, shallow ovenproof dish.
- Grate some lemon zest and scatter with a few small cubes of butter over the bread.