- 1 kg lean lamb leg joint or rolled leg of lamb
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp freshly ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the orange zest, cardamom, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper and rosemary with the olive oil to form a paste.
- Make slits in the lamb joint and carefully rub this mixture into the slits and over the whole joint.
- Place on a rack over a roasting tray and open roast in the oven for about 1½ hours. (To calculate this time accurately allow 25 minutes for every 500g of lamb and a further 25 minutes.)
- About 20 minutes before the end of this cooking time, glaze the lamb with marmalade.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
For the gravy
- 3 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 100 ml water
- 50 ml whisky (opt)
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper plus white pepper
- 1 tsp cornflour to thicken.
- Pour off most of the fat in the roasting pan.
- Deglaze the roasting pan with the whisky.
- Combine the other ingredients and stir.
- To thicken the gravy stir in a corn flour paste and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with rosemary roast potatoes and seasonal steamed vegetables.