- 1 kg lean lamb leg joint or rolled leg of lamb
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp freshly ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Combine the orange zest, cardamom, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper and rosemary with the olive oil to form a paste.
Make slits in the lamb joint and carefully rub this mixture into the slits and over the whole joint.
Place on a rack over a roasting tray and open roast in the oven for about 1½ hours. (To calculate this time accurately allow 25 minutes for every 500g of lamb and a further 25 minutes.)
About 20 minutes before the end of this cooking time, glaze the lamb with marmalade.
Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
For the gravy
- 3 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 100 ml water
- 50 ml whisky (opt)
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper plus white pepper
- 1 tsp cornflour to thicken.
Pour off most of the fat in the roasting pan.
Deglaze the roasting pan with the whisky.
Combine the other ingredients and stir.
To thicken the gravy stir in a corn flour paste and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Serve with rosemary roast potatoes and seasonal steamed vegetables.