Serves 4 large or 6 med
- ½ cup/125 ml strong coffee (Espresso ideal)
- 60 ml Tia Maria for dipping biscuits
- 1 packet of Boudoir biscuits/finger biscuits (12-16)
For cream cheese mixture
- 30 ml Tia Maria
- 30 ml brandy (optional)
- 30 ml strong coffee
- 2 eggs separated
- 2 Tbsp castor sugar
- 250g mascarpone
- 2 tsp cocoa powder or finely grated dark chocolate
- Pour coffee and coffee liqueur into a bowl and lightly dip sponge fingers into this mixture until just soaked-not soggy.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks and castor sugar together until pale and velvety.
- Gradually add the mascarpone and liqueur and coffee.
- In another bowl whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold mascarpone into the mixture until combined, but keep the mixture as light and airy as possible.
- Arrange half the biscuits into 4 cocktail glasses. Top with half of the mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with chocolate.
- Repeat these layers and sprinkle with chocolate or cocoa powder.
- Chill for at least an hour (and preferably four hours) before serving.
Tip: If you would prefer this dessert firmer, dissolve a teaspoon of gelatine into the coffee before adding to mascarpone.