- 3 oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 large butternut
- 1 packet of mixed baby green salad leaves
- 1 250 g packet streaky bacon
- 3 Tbsp pine nuts
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- Orange vinaigrette dressing
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Cut the butternut into small blocks, sprinkle with the brown sugar and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Leave under the grill for a further 5 minutes until lightly brown.
- In the meantime, pan-fry the bacon in a pan until crisp. Lay on some kitchen towel to drain the excess oil. Segment the oranges and place in the pan with juices from the bacon and warm through.
- In a dry small pan, brown the pine nuts, taking care not to let them burn, as they do so very easily.
- When the butternut is done take it out and set aside.
- Place the salad leaves on a platter, with the warm butternut, sliced oranges and crispy bacon pieces on top. Sprinkle with the pine nuts just before serving and a fresh orange-vinaigrette dressing, on the side.
Orange vinaigrette dressing:
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup demerara sugar
- 4 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper