- 1 cup chopped dates
- 125 g melted butter
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¾ cup sugar (or less)
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup chopped Pecan nuts (Keep an extra 12 to decorate)
- Mix dates and butter in a large bowl and sprinkle with bicarb.
- Pour the boiling water over this and stir.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the sugar and the eggs.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Finely add the date mixture and the nuts and stir again.
- Pour into a greased pie dish.
- Bake at 375 (180) for ½ hour
Brandy and orange syrup
- Boil 1 ½ cups sugar and 1 ½ cups water together for 6 mins
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla essence; ¼ cup Brandy, 1/4 cup orange juice and 1 Tbsp butter.
- Pour hot syrup over the hot cake and allow to cool.
- Decorate with nuts and serve with whipped cream or Crème Anglaise.