- 3kg Seville oranges
- 2kg granulated sugar
- 2L of combined orange juice and water
1. Wash the fruit thoroughly and dry with a cloth.
2. Prick the oranges with a skewer. Put into a large pot and cover completely with water. Simmer for 2 hours and then allow to cool in this liquid.
3. Once cool remove the oranges from the water, cut them in half and scoop out the pulp and remove the pips.
4.Place the peel on a cutting board and scrape out the excess pith. Finely slice the peel, pouring the juice, peel and any pulp back into the pot with water. You need at least 2 litres of liquid. (If I have extra orange juice I add this instead of water for extra flavour.)
5.Add the sugar and start to heat the mixture slowly, stirring well with a wooden spoon until dissolved.
6. Bring to the boil until setting point is reached. This should take about 20 minutes. (If it hasn’t, keep on boiling, keeping a close watch.) The shorter the boiling process the lighter and more translucent your marmalade will be.
7. Pour the marmalade into sterilised jars.