- 175g dark chocolate
- 5 eggs
- 225g castor sugar
- 250ml cream lightly whipped (Barbara adds orange ride and a little juice)
- icing sugar for dusting
Optional extra cream to decorate
- Line a baking tray, approx 12″ x 9″ with non stick Bakewell paper.
- Break up chocolate and put into a bowl with 3-4 Tbsp water
- Dissolve this over steam until a thick cream.
- Separate eggs and cream the yolks with the castor sugar till thick
- Cool melted chocolate slightly and add this.
- Whip the egg whites till holding their shape and carefully fold into the chocolate and egg yolk mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake at 350 degrees farhenheit for 20 – 25 mins.
- Cover the top with a damp cloth and leave overnight.
- To complete, remove the cloth and turn roulade over onto waxed paper well dusting with icing sugar.
- Peel off the paper base and spread the whipped cream.
- Roll up like a swiss roll and dust with icing sugar to serve.
- The top can also be piped with additional cream and topped with fresh fruit or nuts.
- Best served with fresh cherries.