Ingredients for crust
- 2 cups flour
- 5 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup sugar (or less)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tsp oats (can pre-toast it in butter for added flavour)
- Beat eggs and sugar well.
- Rub the butter and flour together until fine and crumbly.
- Add the egg and sugar mixture to the dry ingredients and butter.
- Roll out half of the mixture * onto a floured surface or just press evenly into a buttered pie dish. (This can be blind-baked but I have found that this is not necessary.)
- Add the apple filling.
Ingredients for the filling
- 1 tin of pie apples
- ¼ cup brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Use a fork or masher to break up the apple into smaller pieces.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- Take the rest of the Topping mixture and add more flour until it has a firm texture that you can grate easily.
- Bake @ 160 C for about 20 to 30 minutes until light brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving warm, with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.