Ingredients for the Gateau
- 5 egg whites
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 packet Salticrax biscuits (=/- 22 biscuits)
- Grease and line baking trays with three marked 20 cm rounds.
- Crush biscuits.
- Whip egg whites until stiff. Gradually add sugar until stiff.
- Add baking powder and vanilla essence.
- Fold in the crushed biscuits.
- Divide the mixture into three and bake at 180 degrees C for ½ hour.
Ingredients for the Granadilla Curd
- 5 egg yolks plus 2 whole eggs
- 100g butter
- 250g sugar
- 1 ½ cups fresh granadilla pulp
- Put butter, sugar and pulp into a double boiler and stir until the sugar melts.
- Add beaten eggs and butter.
- Cook until thick.
- Bottle and cover at once.
- (Can refrigerate for up to 6 weeks.)
To assemble the Gateau
- 250 ml cream, whipped
- Mix half the granadilla curd with the whipped cream.
- Layer the three meringues with the curd and cream mixture.
- Top with plain granadilla curd.
Instead of one large Gateau it also works well to create small individual Mini Gateaux using 8cm rounds.