- 16 to 18 Marie biscuits or plain tea biscuits
- 1/4 lb or 125 g butter
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tin (385 g) condensed milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Melt butter and add crumbed biscuits. Press into pie dish with the back of a spoon.
- Mix lightly beaten egg yolks, condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon rind.
- Pour into the prepared biscuit shell.
- Beat egg whites stiffly, adding a little sugar at a time and a pinch of cream of tartar. Spread lightly over the pie.
- Bake @ 200 C for 10 mins or until golden.
Tip: You can leave the pie in a slow oven after that, for few hours to ensure meringue is crisp.
Use a shallow Muffin tray if you want to make small, dainty, individual lemon meringues.