- ¼ cup orange juice and 2 Tbsp grated rind
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 eggs, separated
- A pinch of salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Beat butter and sugar well.
- Add flour, salt, orange rind and juice.
- Beat the egg yolks with the milk and vanilla essence and add to the mixture.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into a well buttered corning-ware dish or small ramekins.
- Bake in bain-marie for 1 hr at 180 C for an hour or until set and golden brown.
- Serve with crème fraiche, cream or ice-cream and shreds of caramelised peel.
TIP: Remember to blanch your orange rind, especially for delicate sauces and flavouring by placing it in a colander and pouring over some boiling water to remove the bitterness. Peel needs a more thorough process. Plunge it in boiling water and boil twice before coating in caramelised sugar etc. Always try and avoid as much pith as possible.