Ingredients for the crust (can also use store bought pastry)
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 110g butter
- ½ tsp salt
- Cream sugar and butter together.
- Add egg mix.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Make into a dough ball and leave in the fridge for ½ an hour.
- Press dough into two pie plates. (Spring form is easier)
- Bake blind for 15mins in oven until light brown.
Ingredients for the filling
- 1L milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Heat milk and salt in pan.
- Beat together flour, corn flour, sugar and 3 eggs.
- Add slowly to the heated milk stirring all the time until thick.
- Add vanilla and almond essence and lastly beat in the butter – almond essence adds a unique and delicious flavour.
- Pour into prepared crusts and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.