- Butter for the tin
- 75 g golden caster sugar
- 4 medium egg
- 250 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 450 ml double cream
- 140 g hard nougat or torrone, chopped into ½ cm chunks
- 50 g pistachio, roughly chopped
- Butter and line a 900 g/2 lb. loaf tin with cling film. Bring a pan of water to a gentle simmer. Put the sugar and eggs in a heatproof bowl, then place over the simmering water and whisk until pale, thick and doubled in volume. Remove from the heat, plunge the bottom of the bowl into cold water and continue whisking until the mixture is cool.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on Low, stir, then fold into the egg mixture. Whip the cream to soft peaks and fold into the chocolate egg mixture with the nougat and pistachios.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, smooth the surface with a spoon, then cover and freeze until firm. This can be done up to 2 weeks ahead. To serve, turn out onto a serving dish, remove the cling film and leave in the fridge for 15 mins to soften slightly before slicing.
- You can also try different flavour combinations eg: Toffee or Turkish delight and different nuts.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, April 2002.