- 1 3/4 cups butter, softened
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Stir the flour, salt and cream of tartar together in a large bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix on low until just combined. Add the remaining ingredients and mix on medium-low until the dough just comes together. Don’t overmix the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured countertop and work it into a ball. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to about 1/4″ thick. Cut out cookies with your favourite heart-shaped cookie cutters (or any other shape) and place them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes on until the edges are lightly browned.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of the stand mixer using the paddle attachment until it’s light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix well, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack before decorating with your favourite icing.
Recipe adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
To make the icing… or if you are pushed for time you can buy ready made icing and colour to your liking with food colouring.
- 2/3 cups butter
- ½ cup milk
- 900 g powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- Food colouring to colour your icing as needed
Beat with electric mixer until smooth.