- 2 potatoes
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium egg
- 1 cup of flour (a little extra for dusting your surface)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Steam the potatoes with the skin on for about 40mins.
- Allow to cool and remove the skin.
- Mash the potatoes in a bowl until smooth. (A ricer is very useful for a light smooth texture)
- Then add half the flour. Mix well.
- Make a well in the batter and crack in the egg, whisking lightly before mixing it into the batter.
- Add the rest of the flour and the grated cheese. Mix well.
- Flour your surface and knead the dough to form a ball.
- Divide the dough in two and start making a long worm, working your way from the centre outwards.
- Once you have two long worms about 2cm in diameter, cut them into 2x2cm cubes.
- To shape the Gnocchi, one can either press each cube in the centre with your finger or roll each piece into a ball and press with a fork.
- Bring a pot of water with a pinch of salt added, to the boil.
Once the water is boiling rapidly, add the gnocchi pieces, one by one.
- Once the gnocchi dumplings are cooked they will rise to the surface. This should take about a minute or so.
- Using a slotted spoon, quickly remove them and place them on a plate to dry.
- In a pan add the olive oil and butter. Once sizzling, add in the boiled gnocchi. Fry on either side till slightly golden in colour.
- Serve with a pasta sauce of your choosing
- Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan and grill in the oven for 5 minutes.