- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 6 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 6 pork sausages
- 1 Tbsp breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 250 g ready-made puff pastry
- 2 eggs, beaten, to glue and glaze
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onions.
- Cook gently for 10 minutes until soft and golden brown.
- Add the chopped sage leaves and cook for a few more minutes.
- Allow to cool in a mixing bowl.
- Snip one end of the pork sausages and squeeze the sausage meat out of the sausage casings. Add to the cooled sage and onion mix.
- Add the breadcrumbs.
- Blend everything together with your (clean) hands.
- Roll out the pastry onto a floured pastry sheet.
- Cut 6 cm wide rectangular strips lengthways.
- Brush the edge of the strips with the egg yolk.
- Take the sausage mixture and lay all along on one half (3 cm) of the pastry strip. Fold the other half (3 cm) over the roll of sausage meat so that you now have a long sausage roll.
- Cut this long roll into short sausages rolls depending on the size you want. Place each individual sausage roll onto a greased baking dish.
- Brush with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake @ 180 degrees for 25 minutes until golden and puffy, making sure the sausage is cooked through.
(These sausage rolls can be frozen before baking)