- 2 duck breasts
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- 80 g salad mix
- 2 Tbsp fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp walnuts quarterd and toasted
- Edible flowers to garnish
Oil and spice rub
- 40 ml olive oil
- 2 Tbsp sea salt
- 4 whole star aniseed, crushed
- 10 coriander seeds, crushed (or 1 tsp ground coriander)
- 2 whole cloves, crushed (or 1/2 tsp ground cloves)
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp freshly ground pepper
Orange marmalade salad dressing
- 4 Tbsp walnut oil (Plain Olive oil also fine)
- 4 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Score the skin of the duck and spread liberally with the oil and spice rub.
- Allow to stand for about an hour so that the spicy flavours penetrate the duck meat.
- Grill the duck breast, skin side down for 10 minutes and a golden brown.
- Turn and grill on the other side for another 5 to 6 minutes or until just cooked.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before carving to retain the juices and then carve into bite sized pieces
- and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Arrange the salad leaves and sliced fennel on a large platter.
- Add the sliced duck and orange segments.
- Sprinkle with walnuts, sprigs of fresh thyme and chopped spring onions.
- Garnish with edible flowers.
- Serve with the orange marmalade salad dressing on the side.