- 2 duck breasts
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- 80 g salad mix
- 2 Tbsp fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp walnuts quarterd and toasted
- Edible flowers to garnish
Oil and spice rub
- 40 ml olive oil
- 2 Tbsp sea salt
- 4 whole star aniseed, crushed
- 10 coriander seeds, crushed (or 1 tsp ground coriander)
- 2 whole cloves, crushed (or 1/2 tsp ground cloves)
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp freshly ground pepper
Orange marmalade salad dressing
- 4 Tbsp walnut oil (Plain Olive oil also fine)
- 4 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
Score the skin of the duck and spread liberally with the oil and spice rub.
Allow to stand for about an hour so that the spicy flavours penetrate the duck meat.
Grill the duck breast, skin side down for 10 minutes and a golden brown.
Turn and grill on the other side for another 5 to 6 minutes or until just cooked.
Allow to rest for 5 minutes before carving to retain the juices and then carve into bite sized pieces
and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Arrange the salad leaves and sliced fennel on a large platter.
Add the sliced duck and orange segments.
Sprinkle with walnuts, sprigs of fresh thyme and chopped spring onions.
Garnish with edible flowers.
Serve with the orange marmalade salad dressing on the side.