- 2 onions, chopped
- 20 g butter
- 50 g sugar
- 1 kg fresh carrots, peeled and grated
- 20 g fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 700 ml chicken stock
- 600 ml cream
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Saute the onions slowly in butter with the sugar.
- Add the rest of the ingredients until the carrots are soft and the liquid starts becoming a yellowish colour.
- Blend in batches in a blender.
- Season to taste.
- Serve hot and garnish with some parsnip crisps and a few drops of basil oil.
Recipe: Jonty Nicolson