- 1 medium head cauliflower. Rinse well and pat dry.
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ¼ cup Mozzarella cheese, finely grated
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- ¼ tspoon salt
- ½ tspoon dried basil, finely crushed
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder or flakes
- ¼ tsp paprika/red pepper (opt)
Pizza Sauce: Make your own (see recipe below) or pre-made e.g. Woolies.
Your favourite pizza toppings: e.g. onion, avocado, feta, mozzarella; pimientos, baby marrow, savoury mince; etc.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place a pizza stone in the oven, or baking tray, if you don’t have a pizza stone.
- On a cutting board, place a large piece of parchment paper and spray it with nonstick cooking oil.
- Chop the cauliflower in florets and discard stems.
- Pulse in your food processor for about 30 seconds. You should end up with 2 to 3 cups cauliflower “snow.”
- (Alternatively hand- grate the florets finely.)
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave and cook for 4 minutes. (OR steam the cauliflower until slightly tender.)
- Place the cooked cauliflower onto a clean tea towel and allow to cool.
- Once cool, squeeze out as much water as possible. This will ensure you get a chewy pizza like crust. This is a very important step, if the moisture is not squeezed out you won’t get the crunch.
- Place the cauliflower into a bowl. The consistency should be almost like flour.
- Add Parmesan cheese, Mozzarella cheese, salt, basil, oregano garlic powder and a dash of red pepper. Add egg and mix well.
- Once mixed together, use your hands to form the dough into a crust on your oiled parchment paper. Pat it down thoroughly to a tight and firm consistency.
- Using a cutting board slide the parchment paper onto your hot pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven. Bake for 8 – 11 minutes.
- Cover the base liberally with the Pizza sauce and any of your favourite toppings eg: parma ham and rocket
- Slide the parchment with topped pizza back in the hot oven and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and slightly golden.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 small to medium onion, diced
- 3 – 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans tomato pureed
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Heat 1 ½ tspoons olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion. Sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes. Garlic should be golden and fragrant and onions should be soft.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pot and all seasonings. Stir.
- Once sauce begins to bubble, reduce heat to medium low.
- Allow to cook for at least 15 minutes. Store in an air tight container.