- knob of butter, for greasing the tin
- plain flour, for dusting the tin (or use almond flour for to make it 100% gluten free)
- 4 medium eggs, separated
- 125 g caster sugar
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 50 g ground almonds
- 50 g flaked almonds, finely chopped
For the syrup
- 3 oranges, juiced to give about 300 ml
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbsp orange liqueur
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan). Butter and flour a 20cm spring form cake tin.
- Put the egg whites in a bowl and whisk until you get soft peaks when the beaters are lifted.
- Add 25g of the sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking between each addition until glossy.
- Put the egg yolks in another bowl with the remaining 100g of sugar and whisk until thickened and pale.
- Mix in the orange zest and the almonds. Fold in the egg white mixture gradually to maintain volume.
- Pour into the cake tin, level the surface and bake for about 45 minutes.
To make the syrup
- Simmer the orange juice with the sugar and cinnamon stick until the sugar has dissolved, then stir in the liqueur.
- When the cake has cooled, use a skewer to pierce the top with little holes, then pour the syrup over
- so that it soaks into the holes and is completely absorbed.