- 2 kg skin on and bone in, chicken pieces
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and ground black pepper plus white pepper
- 10 small sprigs of tarragon (or freeze dried tarragon)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (NB not the pith)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and sliced (If none then sliced onion or leeks and onion also fine)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp cornflour to thicken if necessary
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Heat a heavy ovenproof casserole dish on the stovetop on high heat.
Score the chicken, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
Fry the chicken for 6 to 8 mins on both sides until well browned. Remove to casserole dish.
Add the Tarragon; garlic; lemon zest; and fennel (I used sliced onion) and cook with the chicken bits until light brown.
Return the chicken to the dish with the wine and stock and bring to a simmer.
Transfer to the oven and roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
(If you prefer your sauce to be thickened then add 1 teaspoon of cornflour to the chicken stock.)
Serve on a bed of rice or couscous and a green salad or veggies.