Method for the beef
- Rub the Beef with Brandy (optional), salt and pepper – you’ll need anything from 500 g beef fillet.
- Brown on top of the stove in oil and butter.
- Put in prepared oven @ 200 degrees for 20 minutes.
- (Can do this the day before and wrap in foil and place in fridge)
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbsp green peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ¾ tspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- Combine the egg yolks; mustard; vinegar; peppercorns; sugar and salt in a double boiler and cook without letting the water boil) until the sauce slowly thickens-about 5 mins.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Cool completely.
- Fold in the whipped cream, blending until smooth.
- Cover and chill.
- (This can also be prepared the day before.)
- When ready to serve, slice the fillet and decorate with cherry tomatoes; lettuce and rocket.
- Serve the sauce separately.
- Note: this can be served cold for a luncheon or warm – the sauce is separate and is light and fluffy. If you do this warm, place the cream in the fillet’s roasting pan when you are done roasting – add Dijon mustard and green peppercorns swirled around (sour cream or a touch of lemon are also nice for some zing)
Recipe by Sally Williams