- 6 slices of home-made wholewheat bread toasted in the oven or bought English muffins
- 1 1/2 cups creamed spinach (recipe below or bought)
- 6 free range eggs to softly poach
- 6 slices of smoked trout, salmon or bacon
For the Hollandaise (a Jamie Oliver recipe)
- 100 g butter
- 2 large free range egg yolks
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
Trim and finely chop the spring onions and put them into a large frying pan on a medium-low heat with a little drizzle of oil. Add the spinach with a grating of nutmeg and a good pinch of sea salt and pepper. Cook down until dark and delicious, and any excess water has cooked away, then add a squeeze of lemon juice to taste, and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a small pan (or use a microwave)
- Put the egg yolks into a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and whisk with a tablespoon of lemon juice and the mustard. Whisking constantly, very slowly (otherwise it will split) pour the melted butter into the egg mixture, until well combined, adding a splash of water to loosen, if needed. Whisk in a splash of vinegar and season to perfection. Turn the heat off and keep warm over the pan of water, stirring occasionally, and loosening with an extra splash of water if needed. You can also store this is a thermos flask for an hour, until ready to serve.
- Poach your eggs
- Toast the bread/muffin slices in the oven. Spread the creamed spinach over the toast and balance the soft poached egg on top.
- Spoon over a generous helping of Hollandaise sauce
- Top with smoked salmon
- Garnish with sprigs of dill and lemon wedges.