- 500 g beef fillet
- 500 g mushrooms
- 8 slices of Parma ham or Prosciutto
- Dijon mustard for brushing the fillet
- 400 g puff pastry
- 1/2 egg yolks for egg wash
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped/crushed
- 1 (red) onion, finely chopped
- 1 glass dry white wine
- sea salt, (plus white pepper) and freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil (and melted butter)
Season the beef. Heat the pan with olive oil and butter and fry beef quickly on high heat until brown all over (sealed) Brush with mustard and allow to cool.
Fry the onions and garlic in a pan. Add the mushrooms and fry for a few minutes.
Blend the mushroom mix in a food processor and then return to the pan. Add the wine and cook gently until the alcohol evaporates.
Place a layer of Parma ham on a sheet of plastic cling wrap, and then add the mushroom mix and beef.
Easy roll all in the cling wrap and keep in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven at 220 degrees C
Unwrap the beef from the cling film. Roll out the pastry and place the meat in the centre.
Egg wash the edge oft the pastry and wrap over the beef. Turn over and egg wash on top.
Mark the pastry using the back of a knife to make a crosshatch pattern.
Bake at 220 degrees C for 30 minutes.
Allow to rest for a few minutes before carving.
Best served with rosemary roasted potatoes, green beans and roast pumpkin.