- Large boneless duck breast fillets with skin
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken/duck stock
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cups berries: blueberries, raspberries or blackberries (we only used 1)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Orange zest
- Season the duck breast with salt and pepper (we also seasoned with rosemary and orange zest).
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium – high heat. Brown the duck breast, skin side first (2 min) then flip over, reduce heat and cook other side (1 min) just until browned all over.
- Remove duck breasts to oven proof dish and place in oven for 12 (med) – 15 (well done) minutes.
To make sauce
- Add balsamic vinegar and red wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half.
- Add stock and reduce by half again, then add brown sugar, rosemary and berries and cook for 3 minutes.
- Strain into a bowl and whisk in the butter to finish.
- Serve with pan fried mushrooms seasoned with garlic, fresh green beans and butternut puree
Butternut squash puree
- 2 butternut squash or 1 big one
- 4 Tbs softened butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 orange, zested
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Halve the squash lengthwise and remove the seeds and strings. Rubs the insides with butter, season with salt and pepper.
- Place on roasting pan, skin side down. Bake in preheated oven 180 degrees for 30/40 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven, scoop out flesh and place in food processor. Add orange zest and remaining butter.
- Puree until smooth. Add pinch of salt and cinnamon. Pulse a few times to incorporate.